CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Plans change.. and that is okay!

So as I have reflected on my life, and the plans I have made, and am currently making, I realized that plans change... A LOT!! I used to think that once I made a plan for my life, that it had to stay that way, that it was set in stone. I quickly realized that is not the case. Our lives are susceptible to change, and that it's not a bad thing. That sometimes we may think we know what we should be doing, when in reality, we have no clue!

Let me start of with an example from my own life... I graduated high school two years ago. When I graduated, I had my life planned out. I knew exactly what I wanted to do, and where I wanted my life to go, and I was ready to start living that life, but things changed, and as things changed, so did my plans. And here I am today nowhere near where I thought I would be. Two years ago I was planning on moving to Utah State, majoring in Dental Hygiene, I was going to get a part time job as a dental assistant to work my way through school, and I was going to make tons of new friends. Well if you know me today, I am still living at home, starting college(two years later), working part time for Zions Bank, and I have my small but close group of friends. If you look at my life from an outside point of view, you might say wow! She is nowhere near the person she wanted to be. But let me tell you from an insider's point of view I am so much closer to the person I want to be! Did I think my life would be where it is today? No I sure didn't, but I can tell you, that I am so glad, it is where it is!! Like I said, the life I had planned probably would have been a great one, but I wouldn't have gone through the things I have. I wouldn't have the amazing friends I have, I wouldn't have a job that I LOVE like I do now, I wouldn't have as close relationships with my family. And I wouldn't be the person I am today. So, even though at times I look at my life and think I am so far from where I should be, I wouldn't change a thing! I love the fact that things happened the way they did. I love the person I am, and the person I am becoming.

When I graduated high school, I thought that planning away every detail of my life was necessary. I thought that if I didn't plan my life, than I would be a failure, that I would never be able to succeed. But I was wrong. Yes, plans are good, and we need goals to work towards, but is it necessary to plan every detail of our lives? NO! It definately isn't. Is it bad, that as we start pursue our goals that our plans change? ABSOLUTELY NOT! Our plans will probably change millions of times through out this life. As we learn and grow, we see what is best for us. I look back at who I was two years ago, and who I would have become (if I would have stuck to my plans), and even though that life would have been a great one, I look at who I am today, and where my life is headed now, and I am so grateful that my life took the turn it did. That I chose to do the things I did. Because if I hadn't, I would not be the person I am today. The things that I have been through, and the lessons I have learned are priceless to me. They are things that I will cherish forever! They are things that I learned, as I discovered how to adapt to change, and how to make my plans fit with what I need to be doing in my life.

So, to sum it all up...Plan your life, make goals, have something to work towards, BUT don't be so set in your plans that when opprotunities tcome up that you can take them, or at least consider them. Because as we learn and grow in this life, we recieve information that can change our direction, and plans. As we gain that knowledge, other opprotunities may come about that will be better for us that we never had even thought of. So when plans change, embrace them! Take the change and let it better your life! Plans change, and that is okay!

1 comment:

Kristin B. Smith said...

so true Brianna! I think everyone needs to learn to make goals and plans, but be willing to let God show us the way. I know my life hasnt gone as I planned, especially in the last seven or eight months. Everything we experience be it good or bad is for our benefit. :)